8/27/2013 1:03:00 PM Teen acts quickly in home fire incident
A Sisters teenager took the right steps and likely saved the family home late Friday night.
The teenager was home alone Friday evening at her home on Bluegrass Loop in Crossroads when she heard the sounds of a smoke alarm. She quickly went to her bedroom, where she saw her mattress burning. She closed the bedroom door, called 911 and exited the house.
Firefighters with the Sisters-Camp Sherman fire district arrived to find the fire had spread from the bed to some furnishings in the room. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire through the bedroom window and then confirmed the fire did not spread to the walls and attic of the structure. Sisters-Camp Sherman fire district was assisted by firefighters from Black Butte Ranch fire district and Cloverdale fire district.
Fire Chief Roger Johnson stated; "The occupant did everything right by having working smoke alarms, closing the door as she left, and immediately calling 911."
Having a working smoke alarm is essential in alerting residents of fires while they are small. Working smoke alarms also double your chance of getting out of a fire alive.
By closing the door to the bedroom the fire was contained in a small area and actually starved for oxygen. Smoke damage to the rest of the structure was also reduced due to the closed door.
A fire investigator with the Office of State Fire Marshal responded to the scene the next morning to assist with the fire cause investigation.
The fire was caused by a lamp that fell onto the mattress, catching the bedding and mattress on fire.
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013
Article comment by:
Yeah that was my house! All pets are alright, but my bedroom is toast. Thank you Sisters Fire! They even gave my chinchilla oxygen!