Sisters Historical Museum in new location
Last updated 8/31/2021 at Noon
The Three Sisters Historical Society’s museum is moving into a new location.
The museum will be housed at the historic Maida Bailey Old Library building at 151 N. Spruce St., between Cascade Sotheby’s on Cascade Avenue and Sisters Area Chamber of Commerce on Main Avenue.
The museum will reopen on September 3, with regular hours on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. during the Farmers Market season.
Opening in 1939 as the Sisters Library, this building was originally located on the west end of Cascade Avenue approximately where the Sisters Depot is now. It served in that function for over 50 years, before being moved to its current location in 1990 and retired as the active library. It is not uncommon in Sisters history that buildings have been moved, sometimes more than once. Its restoration in 2005 was overseen by the Sisters Country Historical Society under the leadership of Jean Nave, with $70,000 in donations from the community.
In 2006 it was renamed in honor of Maida Bailey, a stalwart leader of the community who, with her new husband, Meredith, had moved to Sisters in 1918. As a professional in the library field at both Stanford (1905-1912) and Reed College (1912-1918), she would later use these skills and this knowledge, together with her lifelong love of books, to become a driving force in creating the new library in her adopted town and working in many capacities over decades to ensure that it flourished.
Asked why this particular location was chosen for the Museum, President Jan Hodgers mentioned its historic value, location near the core of downtown, beautiful wood-paneled walls to show off the exhibits, and proximity to the Fir Street Park for great public access.
The exhibits include Native American, Camp Polk Military Settlement, Pioneer Homesteaders, the Camp Polk Cemetery, Farming & Ranching, and Prohibition. To learn more about these important aspects of Sisters history, stop by for a visit. Those who might be interested in becoming a volunteer or joining the Three Sisters Historical Society which operates the Museum, may call 541-549-1403 or email [email protected]