Metal grinding causes brush fire
Last updated 8/8/2023 at 11:07am
A contractor grinding metal in cheat grass on Mountain View Road on Thursday, August 3, sparked a brush fire.
Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District crews were dispatched to the fire at 11:27 a.m. and arrived to find approximately one-acre of grass and juniper on fire near a cabin under construction. The cabin was not damaged. The fire was contained at 3.8 acres.
Oregon Department of Forestry Regulated Use Closures are in place to help prevent these types of fires, the Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District notes. Before operating machinery, check and follow all your local regulations. https://www.oregon.gov/odf/fire/Pages/restrictions/aspx.
Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District was aided by Oregon Department of Forestry, Cloverdale Fire, Black Butte Ranch Fire, Black Butte Ranch Police and Deschutes County Sheriff's Office.
Due to funding provided by the Oregon Office of State Fire Marshal, Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District was able to put two additional firefighters on this incident. One seasonal firefighter was funded through the Wildfire Season Staffing Grant, the other fulltime firefighter was funded through the Oregon Fire Service Capacity Grant program.
The machine operator was cited for the fire.
Sisters has experienced several small fires this season -all human caused. one was also caused by grinding over grass, and others were escaped debris burns. Fire season will continue through September.