News and Opinion from Sisters, Oregon

Fire damages garage in Camp Sherman

Firefighters knocked down a blaze in a detached garage in Camp Sherman on Saturday afternoon, February 20.

Firefighters with the Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District responded to a 4:24 p.m. report of a structure fire. The two-car garage also included overhead storage, and an office area in the rear of the building.

First-arriving firefighters found fire and smoke in the downstairs garage, and fire was spreading to the second-story storage area. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in the garage and they also worked to limit fire spread to the storage area.

Two vehicles were in the garage at the time of the fire, and were damaged by the fire or smoke.

Twenty-seven firefighters, five fire engines, and four water tenders responded, including firefighters from Cloverdale and Black Butte Ranch fire districts. A Jefferson County Sheriff’s Deputy was working in Camp Sherman when the fire was reported and also responded to help. The deputy used a garden hose to spray water on the fire, limiting fire growth prior to arrival of firefighters.

Firefighters remained on the scene for two hours. The cause of the fire is believed to be discarded fireplace ashes placed in the bed of a pickup with other combustibles. Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District cautions residents to be extremely careful with discarded fireplace ashes.

Fire Chief Roger Johnson said, “This is the second structure fire that the District has responded to this winter from discarded fireplace ashes. Fireplace ashes can retain heat for several days, and should be soaked in water prior to disposing.”

There were no injuries reported. The garage suffered moderate fire and smoke damage. No damage estimate is available at this time.


Reader Comments(0)