News and Opinion from Sisters, Oregon

The platting of Sisters

The original city of Sisters was carved out of the homestead belonging to Alex Smith, who emigrated from New Brunswick, Canada, in 1886, first to Grass Valley, Oregon where he raised sheep, and then to Sisters. He purchased 160 acres from John Smith, no relation. In 1900, Alex sold half of his interest to his brother Robert.

On July 10, 1901, the Smith brothers had the original townsite of Sisters platted, consisting of six city blocks. The plat was bounded on the south by Cascade Avenue, on the north by Adams Avenue, on the west by Elm Street, and on the east by Larch Street.

The following are portions of a copy of the Declaration of Dedication, which is recorded at the Deschutes County Court House:

We, the Smith Bros., owners of the land covered by the accompanying plat of the town of Sisters, do hereby dedicate to the public an easement in the streets and alleys there of, as the town of Sisters, County of Crook, State of Oregon. The lands thus platted and the streets and alleys dedicated are situated on the South half of the Southwest quarter of Section 4 township 15 south, Range 10 East of Willamette Meridian….

All lots 40 feet front by 114, and all blocks 240 feet square. Bisected East and West by alleys 12 feet wide. Streets 80 feet wide. We hereby confirm unto the public an easement in the soil of said streets and alleys. In testimony whereof, We have here unto set our hands and seals this 10th day of July 1901.

P.B. Davis

Alex Smith (seal)

George Stevens

Robert Smith (seal)

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 07/10/2024 19:53