News and Opinion from Sisters, Oregon

Outlaws soccer coach proud of team’s play

The Lady Outlaws played on the road at Marist, a private school that draws club players from all over the area, in the first round of the State playoffs, on Tuesday, November 3. Although the game ended in a 3-1 loss for the Outlaws, their coach couldn’t have been more proud.

“Our girls played so good,” said Coach Brian Holden. “They came out so ready. They passed the ball around Marist on the ground and controlled the ball, creating goal-scoring opportunities from our wings and down the middle.

“Our girls had control of the game the entire first half,” added Holden. “Honestly, I could hear the Marist girls yelling at each other; they were so frustrated. They were scrambling and it was impressive to watch our girls play with that confidence against such an experienced team like Marist.”

The Outlaws struck first just 10 minutes into the contest. Hollie Lewis received the ball and slotted it through to Anya Shockley, who finished with a rock-solid shot into the upper left corner for the score.

Just before the half, the referee awarded Marist a questionable penalty kick. The Spartans capitalized on the opportunity and tied the game 1-1.

The second half was a physical battle, with both teams fighting hard. After battling back and forth for the entire second half, the score remained deadlocked 1-1.

Teams went into a 10-minute overtime and the physical battle continued. Neither team was able to get a goal in the net and so a second 10-minute overtime followed.

The Spartans packed players in front of the goal and were able to tap it in and take a 2-1 lead.

Sisters placed more players forward, and took more of a risk to try and get a goal and get back in the game. Shockley did a good job handling two to three defenders at a time, and Lewis was able to break free and find free space. The Outlaws’ hold midfield clogged the middle and prevented Marist from getting a ball through. The Outlaws just couldn’t finish their opportunities and score a goal.

With 10 seconds left in the second 10-minute overtime, Marist was awarded another PK, and scored their final goal with a shot into the left corner of the net, to seal the win.

Holden said, “Other than a couple of free kicks, our girls denied Marist from scoring. They couldn’t get through our midfield or defense. I have to praise our girls for how hard they worked. They never gave up, and finished the game with class and sportsmanship.”


Reader Comments(0)

Rendered 07/15/2024 07:40