News and Opinion from Sisters, Oregon

Fire destroys motor home on Halloween

Firefighters with the Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District responded to a motor home fire early Monday evening at the intersection of Hood Avenue and Highway 242.

A 911 call was received at 5:59 p.m., and firefighters arrived within four minutes to find a motor home fully engulfed in flames, which were spreading to the grass and brush around the vehicle. Firefighters extinguished the fire and remained on scene for more than an hour cooling the smoldering vehicle. The motorhome was a complete loss.

The motor home was a 1981 Fleetwood Jamboree and was owned and occupied by Brittany Goodwin of Salem. Goodwin told firefighters that she had just fueled the vehicle with gasoline and was driving when she noticed smoke coming from the vehicle engine compartment. When she opened the engine cover, she saw flames in the engine area and she quickly exited the vehicle.

Goodwin told firefighters she was living full-time in the motor home, and didn’t have other lodging options. Firefighters provided a meal for Goodwin, and a local resident paid for a hotel room. The American Red Cross was contacted for follow-up.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire and the estimated loss of vehicle and contents was $7,000.

Oregon Department of Transportation, Deschutes County Sheriff, Black Butte Ranch Fire District, and Oregon State Police also responded to the incident.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 07/13/2024 20:46