Sisters fire chief honored by peers
Last updated 5/5/2023 at 5:06pm
Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District Fire Chief Roger Johnson was awarded the Oregon Fire Chiefs Association (OFCA) President's Award during their annual awards ceremony at the Oregon Fire Chiefs Association Spring Conference held in Bend on April 27.
Chief Bill Boos, president for the Oregon Fire Chiefs Association, presented the award for Chief Johnson's outstanding work and unwavering dedication to bringing updated legislation to the State of Oregon Fire Service.
Chief Boos said, "As an OFCA board member, I've had the opportunity to work with many outstanding individuals in the fire service, and as OFCA President, I get the honor of selecting an individual that I feel has made significant contributions to the Oregon Fire Service.
"Selecting Chief Johnson as the recipient for the President's Award was easy for me. His work on the OFCA Legislative Committee and guidance through the long session has been tremendous. His dedication to the Oregon Fire Service, ensuring residents and visitors are safe and protected, is second to none."
The Oregon Fire Chiefs Association works to serve and unite Oregon's fire service through engagement, education, coordination across fire, rescue and emergency fields, and advocacy. OFCA represents over 300 fire districts and departments in both urban and rural areas of the state.
Chief Johnson chairs the Legislative Committee for the Oregon Fire Chiefs Association. The 2023 Oregon legislative agenda includes the following priorities:
• Protect investments in Oregon's fire service to increase wildfire defense capacity, firefighter capacity for wildfire response, conflagration support.
• Protect investments in community readiness and response originally made possible by SB 762.
• Support the budget for the Department of the Oregon State Fire Marshal.
• Potential investments or policy recommendations that support Rural Fire Protection Districts and increase firefighter capacity.
• Support Urban Search and Rescue investments.
• OFCA will respond to other issues as they arise during the legislative session.